03 July, 2013

Private Peter Franklin Dellinger Company I of the 11th North Carolina Infantry Regiment

North Carolina Monument at Gettysburg

Peter Franklin Dellinger was a resident of Lincoln County, North Carolina. He is the son of Daniel Henry Dellinger and Frances Houser. He is my 1st cousin 5x removed.

Peter was 18 when he was enlisted by Captain Haynes on 9, March, 1862 in Lincoln County, NC. Private Dellinger was assigned to the Enfield Blues, Company I of the 11th North Carolina Infantry Regiment on 31, March, 1862. Company I was composed primarily of men from Lincoln and Gaston counties. Peter was joined by three of his relatives in this unit. Their names are Fredrick Washington (my 3rd great grandfather), John F, and Philip Dellinger.

On 20, May, 1862 Private Dellinger reported to the general military hospital number 4 at Wilmington NC. He was diagnosed as having Measles. Peter returned to duty on the 23rd of May.

Private Peter Franklin Dellinger was killed in action on 03 Jul 1863 at Gettysburg, PA. North Carolinians went farthest to the front at Gettysburg!

No comments:

Post a Comment